Effective 1 January 2018, the Ministry of Manpower in Singapore will raise the qualifying salary for work pass holders to be able to sponsor dependants.
- All clients applying for work passes and dependant passes in Singapore
Effective 1 January 2018, work pass holders will need to possess the following minimum fixeed monthly salary in order to sponsor dependants:
- $6,000 SGD to sponsor a spouse/child on a Dependant’s Pass (up from $5,000 SGD)
- $12,000 SGD to sponsor a parent on a Long Term Visit Pass (up from $10,000 SGD)
New Dependant Pass applications for spouses/children and Long Term Visit Pass applications for parents received before 1 January 2018 will be assessed based on the old criteria.
Renewals for Dependant Passes and Long Term Visit Passes approved or issued before 1 January 2018 will also be assessed on the old criteria, provided the main pass holder remains with the same employer.
- Any new application where the salary meets existing criteria but not the revised threshold should be submitted prior to the 1st Jan 2018 cut off date (i.e. those seeking to sponsor a Dependant Pass on a fixed monthly income of between $5,000 SGD and $6,000 SGD).
- Companies applying for work passes for employees should be aware of the new salary requirement, which may affect their employees’ ability to bring dependants to Singapore if the minimum salary requirement is not met.
- Contact your Emigra Worldwide attorney or representative for further details on how these updates may impact you or your client.