United Arab Emirates – Changes to Visit Visa Status In-Country

What has changed

Effective January 3, 2016, Visitor Visa/Tourist Visa holders can now convert to a Residence Permit in-country and no longer need to leave the UAE in order to change the status of the visa to a Residence Permit.

Who is affected?
What to expect

  • Companies sending employees to the UAE

An in-country conversion to a Residence Permit can be done for both short term and long term tourist or visit visas and for both principals and dependents. The application for the change of status must be filed within the validity period of the current Tourist/Visit Visa.

Note: This change is not applicable for Visitor/Tourist Visa extensions. It is still not possible to extend a Visitor/Tourist Visa in the UAE, the rule remains the same where the visa holder must leave the country on or before the expiry date of the visa. However, they may immediately apply for another Visitor/Tourist Visa once they leave the UAE.

What you need to do
Planning ahead

  • Emigra can assist when possible, in filing for the change of status application.
  • Contact your Emigra Worldwide attorney or representative for further details on how these updates may impact you or your client.

The information above was provided by Emigra Worldwide, our global network partners, and relevant government authorities. The information herein is for general purposes only and not intended as advice for a particular matter. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the global immigration professional with whom you work.