Philippines – Additional Requirements for Cancellation of Alien Employment Permit

What has changed

Effective March 1, 2019, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has issued new guidelines for applications for cancellation of Alien Employment Permits (AEPs).

Who is affected

Clients who have hired or intend to employ foreign nationals with or without families in the Philippines.

What to expect

According to the new instructions, the original AEP card must be submitted with the cancellation request. Previously, it was sometimes possible to attach only a copy of the AEP card.

Applications must now also include a letter requesting cancellation and the valid ID of the company representative or liaison officer, a letter from the company or employee authorizing the representative or liaison officer, and a document including either the location or a map of the company.

If the employer wishes to terminate the employment of a foreign national holding a valid 9(g) work visa (e.g., at the expiry of the employment contract), they will be required to downgrade the foreign national’s visa (and any dependant visas) to a 9(a) temporary visitor visa. Also, the foreign national employee will need to obtain an Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC), and cancel their ACR I-Card and Alien Employment Permit with the Department of Labor and Employment.

What you need to do

Contact your Emigra Worldwide representative for assistance in developing the appropriate immigration strategy based on case background.

This alert was prepared with information provided by Newland Chase.