China – Temporary Residence Permits No Longer Issued for Hong Kong, Macau Residents and Overseas Chinese Citizens in Shanghai


What has changed

Effective August 26, 2015, the Shanghai Public Security Bureau will no longer be issuing temporary residence permits for Hong Kong, Macau residents and overseas Chinese citizens.

Who is affected?
What to expect

  • Hong Kong, Macau residents and overseas Chinese citizens

Although police stations will cease issuance of temporary residents permits for Hong Kong, Macau residents and overseas Chinese citizens, a temporary residence registration form must still be completed. Those residing in China for work, are required to apply for a work permit. Dependents must now apply for a long term visa without a temporary permit.

What you need to do
Planning ahead

  • Please note, because this notice was recently released, pace of implementation may vary between local police stations in different zones.
  • Contact your Emigra Worldwide attorney or representative for further details on how these updates may impact you or your client.

The information above was provided by Emigra Worldwide, our global network partners, and relevant government authorities. The information herein is for general purposes only and not intended as advice for a particular matter. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the global immigration professional with whom you work.

To sign up to receive Global Immigration eAlerts, CLICK HERE