Effective April 1, 2016, the Shanghai Labor Bureau announced a new policy regarding Work Permit applications of foreigners. The policy includes the following:
- The qualifications of the employer (or company) must be verified before applying for a new Work Permit.
- An actual business office address is required for a newly registered company (or Wholly Foreign Owned Enterprise). Companies need to provide a physical business address and their employees have to contribute to social security.
- Applications from unqualified agencies will be eliminated.
- The original business license of each new application must be verified.
- Any changes to personal information, including passport (renewal or lost), work visa (change a job), need to be reported to the immigration bureau within ten (10) days.
By asking for the physical business address and eliminating applications from unqualified agencies, the new policy aims to bring accountability to the employer’s qualifications.
What you need to do
- Contact your Emigra Worldwide attorney or representative for further details on how these updates may impact you or your client.
The information above was provided by Emigra Worldwide, our global network partners, and relevant government authorities. The information herein is for general purposes only and not intended as advice for a particular matter. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the global immigration professional with whom you work.